The Discover Primary Science and Maths Programme (DPSM) is part of Science Foundation Ireland's (SFI) Discover Programme, which aims to increase interest in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) among students, teachers and members of the public.
The SFI Discover Programme seeks to promote the awareness and engagement of the Irish public with STEM. The purpose of the Programme is to support and develop the education and outreach STEM sector in Ireland by investing in developing and extending capacity in this area and also exploring and encouraging novel means of public engagement and communications.
DPSM originated in 2003 with the aim of introducing primary school students to science in a practical, hands-on, enjoyable and interactive way. Since 2010 the programme has been run in conjunction with the European Space Education Resource Office (ESERO) Ireland which uses space to inspire and engage young people in science and technology in the world around them.
The programme offers:
- CPD workshops and summer courses for teachers
- A Framework For Inquiry Based Science Education and a Classroom Activity Teacher Planning Guide
- A website with classroom activities, resources and quarterly e-newsletters
- An Award of Science and Maths Excellence.
- A network of Discover Centres offering primary science and maths workshops and outreach programmes including, the Zoo, national parks, interpretive centres and marine education centres.
- DPSM introductory sessions with pre-service teachers in collaboration with the Colleges of Education